With my crazy schedule and projects to finish, I have been pressed for time in a major way. However, I refuse to miss workouts and made some changes to my routine until I can get back to a somewhat normal schedule. Rather than getting stressed out by a hectic schedule, I embrace it and get excited because it is yet another way to throw something different at my body to keep it guessing and progressing!
With limited time to go to the gym, my workouts last 25-35 minutes and consist of an intense combination of exercises that hit all my major muscle groups, limit rest between sets and I lock my brain into an intense focus on technique. The workout below is for those who train regularly at the gym. I will post some more moderate formats and an “at home” version as well. On busy weeks, I do this routine one day, do short-duration intense cardio or skill training for the next two days, then do an upper body routine with abs after those two cardio/skill days. I just mix things up and rotate things around as my schedule will allow. Here is a snapshot of a whole body session I linked together yesterday:
Start with a 5 minute warm-up, then full body stretch
- Leg Extension- 1 set of 15 reps with moderate/heavy weight to really pump legs with blood and prepare for Squats
- Lying Leg Curl- 1 set of 15 reps, don’t use weight that is too light…get the most out of those 15 reps!
- Pull-Ups- 1 set of 15 controlled reps, nothing fast! Only do as many as great form will allow!
- Take 1 min 15 seconds rest, increase weight by 5-10% then repeat!
- Barbell Squats- Your bodyweight on the barbell and knock out 1 set of 15 reps
- Dumbbell Incline Press- Moderate weight, 1 set for 15 reps
- Dumbbell Overhead Squats- Light weight and burn out 20 reps but with slow speed for an amazing burn!
- Take 1 min 30 seconds rest, increase weight by 5-10% then repeat!
- Standing Overhead Shoulder Press with Dumbbells- Moderate/Heavy Weight, 1 set 15 of reps. Slight bend in knees so your legs are supporting you…not your lower back!
- Standing Dumbbell Biceps Curls- Moderate/Heavy weight 1 set of 15 reps. Flawless form!
- Standard Dips- Get depth and go slow, no cheating! 1 set of 15 reps
- take 1 min 30 sec rest then repeat
- Crunches on an Exercise Ball- 3-4 sets of 15-20 reps. Slow and smooth, no jerking the head!
Stretch your entire body right after you are done and be sure to drink a recovery protein shake to speed up the recovery process! All that and you’re in and out…..Done!